Saturday 3 March 2012

Hitchcock was right...

So it's coming to the end of the weekend here in New Zealand. We've apparently had a storm with gale force winds, which would explain why there's been roofing tiles, bits of tree and small children whizzing past my window all weekend.

I decided to wander down to the local town/city on Saturday to see what it was like. Turns out it's kinda like Weston-Super-Mare but with palm trees really. I did find this amazing little fresh fish market though which served up the best fish and chips I've ever had (even if the chips were just deep fried McCain's oven chips. Seriously, I saw the box!) and for $5.40, it was a bargain! I thought I would take a walk along the water front and eat there overlooking the bay, so I took my F&C - wrapped in actual newspaper no less! - and found a comfy spot to sit and enjoy my delicious and healthy meal.

It was then that I was overcome with this bizarre feeling like I was being watched. I slowly looked up, chip in hand and, essentially, this is what I saw --

"Mine"


I had to fight off about two dozen sodding seagulls for my dinner, who'd followed me (on foot) all the way down from the market. I'd wondered why people were giving me funny looks as I walked along the waterfront, I must've looked like some kind of Pied Piper with mystical influence over seagulls.
Anyway, I emerged victorious, with only a few minor beak-shaped lacerations.


But goddammit, it was worth it.

1 comment: